Wednesday, January 10, 2018

First ever flame tree flower!

After transplanting the flame tree from the pot to the ground, it shed many leaves.
There are 3 branches sticking out, and I have resisted the urge to cut two off. I'm glad I did, because although the main 'leader' branch sprouted new growth almost immediately, and is now flowering, the other two branches have new growth coming out too.


I wonder what it will look like when it's properly grown. I hope it's not weird for it to have 3 branches - most of these trees have only one.


Today (11 Jan 2018), there are no more of the old leaves left, but there IS encouraging new growth. I hope the three branches will thicken up like the large version - pic down below. It seems to be quite a fast growing plant, or maybe it's just making up for lost time, being frustrated in the pot!


Brachychiton acerifolius, commonly known as the Illawarra flame tree, is a large tree of the family Malvaceae native to subtropical regions on the east coast of Australia.

I suppose this old tree has more than one central branch...

Update: Latest growth - as at 21 Jan, 2018: I hesitate to suggest that perhaps I might get coverage worth of 3 trees, not just the one? if it continues it's growth like this...


No comments: