Friday, June 30, 2023

Lopping the mulberry tree - June 2023

Bernie and Jeanette kindly came over to help me trim the height of the mulberry tree. The plan is to have it growing towards my garden, and remove branches heading elsehere over the fence. Also, to make the height of future growth reasonable so I can get as many berries as possible, when in season again.
It was kind of them to help me out. Bernie and Jeanate also came over with their chipper (STIHL GHE 150 - about $800 new) and we chipped up the cut branches, and ended up with a lovely pile of chips. Jeanette suggested the bits be allowed to cure in the sun for a few days so that they doon't exude bad chemical plant stuff which may affect the growth of plants that I put them around. I put them in a few large pots but really need to spread them out in the sun. I just didn't want to use up their tarp longer than I needed to. The tree looks better, but still needs some trimming to make it a more accessible height.

No comments: