Sunday, September 2, 2018

Spring! New buds on the book tree! + update

This is bauhinia blakeana - symbol flower of Hong Kong. I love the orchid-like flower. I love both the pink and the white flowering trees.

It's one of my favorite plants. I have been worried about it, since it has been so dry. Furiously watering it whenever I could. I don't know whether these flower-buds are a response to Spring, or its dying last-gasp. I so hope it lives to grow tall, green and strong again.




Update - it flowered a couple of days ago, around 6 Sept. Definitely not as vigorous as last year, but perhaps that's because they are much higher than at eye level now! I may have made a mistake cutting off the lower branches. However, I will just let it do it's thing from now. I'm hoping it sprouts lower down - I have seen this happen on fully grown trees in the street. Also, I believe the drought has put a dent in it's growth, although the new season's warmth may help it get bigger from now.



From Burke's Backyard:


No comments: