Thursday, February 6, 2020

Red abutilon - chinese lantern

2 Jan 2020 - I've been tip-pruning to encourage bushiness and upwards shape.


5 Feb 2020 - last weekend I clipped off the under branches, to ensure all were facing in an upward direction.


Recent rains will do it good, I believe.

29 Feb 2020 - I continue to tip-prune it, so as to 'bush up' the inner centre and to control the shape. On the whole, I am so happy she is growing well.





15 March 2020 - 


7 April 2020 -  looking big and round. I have been pruning off any foliage leaning down and too far out, to encourage thickening up and upward growth. Loving all the flowers.


20 April 2020 - I re-staked the tree, as it was leaning to one side with it's weak cane prop. It suddenly looks a bit lopsided, but I will prune it to be straight and balanced again, eventually. 
It has grown a lot this past season. I would like her to grow taller than the fence.


12 July 2020 - 



13 August 2020 - She appears to be growing again, increasing in height. I am so pleased, and am trying to encourage thicker growth towards the inner sections of the tree, rather than wider.

18 August 2020 - 


27 Nov 2020 -  It's having a growth spurt at the moment. I have pruned it to be heading upwards, and have fed it several applications of potash.



Dec 10, 2020 - Lovely flowers.




No comments: