Saturday, January 30, 2016

Baby Bird

Yesterday we had a fierce wind during a short storm. I reckon these li'l baby birds were blown out of their nest. I found them just lying, already dead, on the dirt at the back of my place.


Poor things. The ants got to them this morning. No sign of mother birdy.


Then, last night, I heard a fearful peeping, and Taffy brought in another baby bird, almost featherless, which was still alive. I rescued it, and put it in a container with some paper towels. Proceeded to read about what to feed baby birds, of course. Boiled the jug then put the container near the jug, and covered all with a tea-towel, so that it would be warm.

This morning, the baby was obviously hungry, peeping away with it's little beak open. So I dropped in about 8 pieces of kitty biscuit which had been soaked overnight in hot water (and were now cold but very soft and mushy). I used a toothpick to drop in the seemingly bottomless pit of a beak, and after the 8th, he went quiet, with no more beaky.

He's sleeping now, in the paper towels in my pantry, where the cats can't get to him. Saffy was very interested when she heard the peeping noises, and came up onto the kitchen counter to see. She was most perturbed when she couldn't have him further!

She soon settled down and lay in her usual place (plate!), near me and the computer. I think she likes being near me, with the fan directly on her, and the warmth of the computer at her back.




I hope the little birdy lives. He's so cute.

No comments: